Rob Birdwell is composer, arranger, conductor, songwriter, and performer. He attended the University of Idaho then moved to L.A. to study at the Dick Grove School of Music. Rob is a graduate of Dick Grove's Composing & Arranging Program.
Rob is primarily a Trumpet/Flugelhorn player although over the years he's picked up other instruments either out of necessity or just plain curiosity including: bass, piano, drums/percussion, vocals, mandolin, and tenor sax.
Rob has studied with some fantastic teachers: Bill Wicker (Tillicum Junior High), Gary Walker (Sammamish High), Bob McCurdy & Dan Bukvich (University of Idaho), Del Hartman (his main trumpet teacher for many years), Roy Cummings (University of Washington), Dick Grove (Grove School of Music), Jack Feierman (conducting at Grove), David Angel (film scoring at Grove), and others.
Some of Rob Birdwell's musical highlights (so far) include:
- Arranging and recording horn parts for Halie Loren, Creighton Lindsay and others!
- Performing at the Oregon Country Fair with The Nettles and the Sugar Beets!
- Guest conductor for the Chris Botti Pops Concert with the Corvallis-OSU Symphony
- Guest conductor and co-arranger for the Halie Loren Pops Concert with the Corvallis-OSU Symphony.
- Halie Loren and Band 2012 Tour to Macau, China
- Halie Loren - "Heart First" - Rob contributed Trumpet and Flugelhorn tracks.
- Guest conductor for the "Music of Harry Potter" concerts featuring the music of John Williams, performed by the Corvallis-OSU Symphony.
Rob Birdwell performs with a variety of local and regional arts including Halie Loren, The Nettles, Dave Storrs and 5th & B, Sideways Portal, The Svens, Creighton Lindsay, and many others. He has written hundreds of songs for both vocal and instrumental settings, has several independent "solo" CDs released, and an ever-growing number of charts and arrangements.
Rob believes that the study and performance of music is a life-long journey - he's still learning!